multi day prep

I have been having some fun today going back and looking at ride results
from years past on AERC's site...more fun now that I recognize the names
and even know some of the people!  (I rode yesterday and now have a really
bad case of SADD!  Come on, ride season!!!!)  Anyway, we have been plotting
our goals and strategizing a little bit.  And then today we've talked about
shoeing and supplements and conditioning and HRs and...whew...still so much
to learn and do!!  I DO want to try a 100 miler this year.  I have also
promised myself that God willing and the creek don't rise, I am going to do
the Shore to Shore this year!!  5 days of 50 milers...I want to complete
but this little niggling voice inside says "yeah, but you can complete AND
make a good showing!"....I think that's Tom sort of breaking through there!
 Anyway, I have talked to one rider/client/friend who completed it last
year and made a good showing for herself.  She has been doing this long
enough though that I think to her it's not such a big deal.  I do tend to
get paranoid but I want to do right by my horse so...
any and all advice anyone can give me specifically on how many miles you
campaign your horse before a 100 or multi day ride and how much time off
afterward.  I guess I thought that after the Shore to Shore I should lay my
horse off the rest of the season but my friend says she rode a couple of
more rides (50s) yet last fall (S to S is in August).  I would like to
attend the Grand Island 100 in May which for us is early in the
season...it's a decent trail, not exactly flat, but easy to pit and I am
afraid my first time out I will need lots of encouragement along the way!
THANKS!!!

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.