Re: RC: Re: Selenium problem

<Maggie:  Why would you add a supplement to your horses diet without first
checking to see if he even needs it?  Then again, once you've been feeding
it don't you want to know the results?  The vets I've talked to have
instructed that there is no need to increase the selenium when the horse is

being worked.  Does anybody know if this is true?>

Because I'm a dumb newbie but I knew our area was deficient in SE levels.
(One of our neighbors lost a horse to white muscle disease a couple of
years ago.)  I read a lot about supplementing SE but didn't really know or
think much about testing (until last year and since I wasn't having any
problems decided to stay with the course).  Since our conditioning and
nutrition program are fairly new (to us and we've only been seriously at
this for a couple of years), I thought perhaps we should give it some time
to become established. This year, I plan to have selenium levels drawn on
the horses we are using in endurance but will continue to supplement all
the horses even without drawing their blood (can't afford to do everyone).
Our horses don't get as much grain as the grain bags suggest (they would be
blimps and foundering all around us if we did!) so I know from consulting
with our nutritionist that they weren't getting sufficient SE. I also
consulted a Standardbred breeder who told me he routinely feeds 8-10
mg./daily...he has been at this for many, many years.  So I was not blindly
supplementing something my horses may not need.  I did do my homework and
as I said, this year will be doing the testing to see if what I am doing is
worth the doing.  I am also interested in knowing what anyone has to say
about increasing the SE when  the horse is being worked...I have been told
yes and no and went with the increase during ride season because as long as
I'm not overdoing it, figured it's better safe than sorry.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657