Re: RC: Rider weight/horse size

Sarah,

I'm fit enough to get off my horse for the long downhills on rides such as
the OD.  I've found that it seems to give the horse a nice break.
Intuitively, it seems that it would help the horse not having my extra 150
pounds or more (what with the TONS of stuff I have in my waistpack!!!) to
balance when going down some of those steep, VERY rocky mountains.  There's
one long climb that comes down about 2-3 miles from Hickory Lance vet check,
so I get off & jog down with the horse happily trotting behind me (they
wouldn't be able to go so fast with me on them), dodging boulders & rocks,
and get back on at the bottom, trot & canter into the vet check & horse will
pulse down in 3-4 minutes.
I do find that I have to do some running, or weight lifting for thighs as
bracing against the downhill can get you pretty sore the next day.  Nice to
get out of the saddle for awhile.  I often have folks pass me on the uphills
as I don't race up those mountains --- try to keep the horse below 150, a
brisk walk up those mountains in June will run the horse at 120-130 anyway.
Then I catch most everyone that passed me going up on the way down --- my
horse isn't so tired & so still is coordinated (when we get to a not so steep
downhill I'll get back on & my horse is still relatively fresh).  Probably
helped me top 10 the OD & Cosequin last yr.
On the weight issue --- a couple of years ago when I was getting Tempo
started I had a friend who was about 20-25 pounds heavier than me riding his
dam Kadance+/ and competing her in 25 mile CTR's.  I only did one 50 mile
endurance ride with her that year as she had a horizontal crack (from the one
of the Ft Valley rocks!) growing out on a front hoof.  I was pleasantly
surprised at how fit she was when I rode her in the IAHA National CTR that
fall (enough to top 10), and attribute it to having a heavier rider on her
for much of the year doing just training & CTR's.  In training we were
utilizing Tom's interval techniques --- simply because the terrain around
here is a lot of short up & downs.  With the MD heat & humidity you can get
the horse's pulses going pretty good --- didn't have the heart monitors on
usually, but I noticed Kadance+/, carrying the heavier rider,  would be
panting harder than Tempo.

Nancy & Tempo (now when are you going to get off going UPhill?!?!?!)
MD