Re: RC: Rider weight/horse size

Sarah:

In the difficult, mountainous rides like Old Dominion, I get off to give the
horse a break on the really steep or dangerous mountain climbs or descents.
Other than the terrain where you must walk anyway, I don't think most top
finishing riders run that much with their horses anymore.  I know I don't.
I'm not capable of keeping up unless the horse is walking or trotting slow.
To finish in the top group in nearly all the races being contested today,
horses must travel at speeds that humans aren't capable of matching.  Debi
Gordon