Re: RC: conditioning effects

In a message dated 2/10/00 9:32:57 AM Mountain Standard Time,
steph@endurance.net writes:

> 1)heart hypertrophy - the heart will actually increase in size.
>  *question: can the contractile strength be  increased??

Steph,
    I am REALLY interested in this regard.  ..."can the contractile strength
be increased??"...
    If the heart actually increases in size, is it's "increase" in all areas?
 Wouldn't the THICKNESS of the chamber walls increase as well?  And if so,
wouldn't the contractile strength actually be DECREASED rather than the
"desired" increase?
    I don't know, but the effect of a "thickness" increase could affect all
cardio-pulmonary efficiency and seriously endanger the horse.
    I'm not a vet, I'm barely literate, but if anyone knows if the phenomenon
described could happen, I sure would be interested in knowing.

Thanks,
   Frank.