Re: [Fwd: RC: [Fwd: RC: Heartrates up to 220]]

Maggie Mieske wrote:

> I have found that the fastest easiest way to get my horse's heart rate
> above 200 is to ride him near a duck lurking in a pond or stream who will
> wait until you are right upon him to fly up in your horse's face!!  The
> horse at this point will also choose this point in time to practice the
> dressage he has never learned (very elaborate sidepasses and a few
> pirouettes in there...perhaps he is white from a little Lipizzan
> blood???)....

Hehehe, I also sometimes wonder about the abilities of Ninja when spooking...

> NOW TO BE SERIOUS...we have very short, steep hills here...and a few
> gradual climbs.  The hills though are sandy...much harder work than solid
> ground.  I know I can easily get the heart rate up to 200+ on these short
> steep hills however maintaining it is not feasible.  So, should I do these
> hills several times in a row?  Any suggestions or ideas?  Sorry for the foo
> foo funny up top...I need to ride!!!!

Yes, read my posts and Tom's comment on my "gold mine hill". Use the shorter
hills for intervalls of 3-5 (maybe more) heats, gradually build up, and the
longer hill for establishment. And you will get good results, as Karen will.
One single shoot-out uphill will not give the effect of those repetitions. You
can play around a bit with the time between the heats, shorter rest will lead
to more staying ability while longer rest will give you more "firepower", as
Tom said in his book. Again my advice here: Buy the book and read it.
In one of my earlier mails I wrote that I use intervall training for a long
time now. I had a "trainer" back in that years you introduced me in the basics.
He is a person like Tom: Never sat on a horse, but with that special kind of
horsemanship and the right eye for things to happen. He had "trained" some
horse in the 80's, one of them being winner of the European Trophy. Then he
retired, but came back as we met. He knows people like Lew Hollander personally
(and I bet some more) and was one of the first to adopt the "american" way of
training to Europe. Hey, that's 20 years ago and a lot happens since then. So
Tom's book gave me the ability to refine my training. Results? Let's see, I'll
keep you informed.

Happy trails,

Wolfgang + Ninja 11
Germany