Re: RC: Spooking was Discipline timing..was Re: helmets

OK, I'm no expect on this, but I used to have a horse that
would do beautiful 180's when he spun...he would've put
world champion reining horses to shame.  OK, I still have
that horse and things have improved.  First and foremost, he
was given a situation where he was able to get out on
pasture 24 hours a day.  Secondly, and most importantly, I
think I gave him permission to spook.  When I knew things
where going to spook him, I would tighten my reins and my
legs.  Automatic cues that he should be afraid of what was
coming up.  After I learned to lessen the grip on both, the
spooking reduced.  Has it gone completely away....NOT.  But
he doesn't spin anymore and spooks like a 'normal' horse.  I
guess what I'm trying to say is that you can indirectly
influence your horse to spook.  Nothing will probably every
make it go away, but you can make it better.
Diane