Re: RC: Discipline timing..was Re: helmets

tondi313@yahoo.com writes:

<< >I then go find a very steep hill
 > > and ride it up and down until my gelding gets the
 > > message that spooking at birds is NOT O.K.< >>

I don't know what the answer to the spooking thing is.  I just know that
horses do spook -- its kind of inherent in them.  I don't think they have the
kind of rational thinking that will allow them to say "Gee, I spooked, now I
have to go up and down a hill a bunch of times, let's not do THAT again".
(Training would be a heck of a lot easier if they could think that way
though!).  I ride frequently with a friend who smacks her Arab on the neck
(or elsewhere) with a crop when he spooks.  Funny thing....the horse has
gotten even more spooky and incorporated a nifty little 180 manuver into the
whole program.  My older horse (14 yo) Harca just doesn't spook much.  My
youngster, Star (5 yo) does this "flinch in place" thing.  I've found that if
I comfort him after he "flinches" (ok, sometimes its a spook :)  He settles
really fast and the spookiness is pretty much being outgrown (never
completely, I'm sure).  Sometimes I feel that he spooks just out of
playfulness and youthful exuberance -- so then we ride a little longer that
day :))  Just my thoughts on the "spooky Ayrab thing" :))

Sylvia