Re: RC: DNA testing update

In a message dated 2/9/00 12:15:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, woa@stormnet.com
writes:

<< Well, Tom
 I guess you just answered my question about the "myth" of the speed
 gene. Do you think some sires have more winners than others for a
 combination of their genes and that we cretins just haven't been able to
 discover what the magic combo is yet>>

Certainly.

>---and then of course have to put in
 the correct training for the horse to actualize his potential?>

Yes. What we can do is manipulate "gene expression"--trigger the existing
genes to outperform themselves.

> OR (this is NOT a "trick" question)
 do you feel that people buy horses with the same bloodlines and tend to
 spend more money on these to optimize their potential? In other words,
 do you feel genetics comes into play at all?>

It does, but far less than people think. As I told the symposium in Long
Island, all of the performance differences between cheap claimers and
champion TBs could be easily made up through conditioning and nutrition.
 Bette >>
ti