Re: RC: DNA testing update

In a message dated 2/9/00 10:05:49 AM Pacific Standard Time, woa@stormnet.com
writes:

<< Now if they could win with this less than perfect
 conformation then I've heard this is due to the "speed gene". Has anyone
 to your knowledge been able to isolate this, as they have color genes,
 or is it a myth? If so, why are some bloodlines statistically more
 successful in flat racing than others? Even when put through the same
 training regimen.
 Bette >>

Too many factors to calculate--muscle fiber type ratios, hormonal response to
exercise challenge, vascularization and heart size, efficiency of motion,
muscle mass and body proportions, etc. Remember, out of a given mating, you
might get one Seattle Slew and another 7 donkeys. We hear about the Big
horses from certain lines, but we don't hear about the thousands of water
buffalo siblings.

Also remember that in TBs, the training regimen IS the same across the board.
Natural ability plays a much bigger role in such circumstances. Even so,
those that "breed the best to the best" lose money big time in the TB
industry. 19 of 20 are donkeys.

ti