Re: [Fwd: RC: [Fwd: RC: Heartrates up to 220]]

In a message dated 2/9/00 8:50:58 AM Pacific Standard Time, wsabg@t-online.de
writes:

<< ust have looked into some of these HRM-files. A typical intervall of three
heats
 begins after ~15 min warm-up. The first heat goes up to 205 and stay above
200
 for nearly one minute, the next heat shows 213 (and +200 for a bit more than
 minute) and the last heat is 212 with nearly the same readings as the
second. The
 hill is ~ 200 m long and I walk Ninja downhill as a recovery. >

Good protocol. Sounds like a pretty steep hill.

>Unfortunately he
 loves this hill, so he is very excited at the bottom and wants to run uphill
 again. This makes it difficult to really say what the recovery-numbers are.
We
 have ~4 minutes between the heats.>

Most horses love hills. Emotional HR artifact can be as much as 20-40 points
in cases like this. If you stay on top for as long as 90 seconds, you'll
probably see a plateau in the HR drop--this is what I call "recovery" HR in
racehorses. If the drop flattens out temporarily at 130+, I've dug into
anaerobic metabolism pretty deeply. If it flattens out under 120, I can
safely shoot another heat. If it flattens out under 110, I didn't even touch
him, and under 105, I'm not getting much useful work done.

> After that I trot him for ~ 10 minutes (hr
 ~130) to another hill, a bit steeper but not as long as the first one, where
we
 do one more uphill-galopp. Here he has a hr of around 217 bpm. After such an
 intervall training I cool him down by walking him for 30 minutes. The hr
drops
 down in plateaus of ~10 bpm untill it stays at ~60, after feeding ~50.>

Check that first 60-90 second plateau--I believe that's your lactic acid
indicator.

> I do have another hill, nearly 2 km long and constanly getting steeper. Here
 Ninja reaches the 190 some hundred meters from the top, where the hill is
getting
 really steep. Ninja's hr goes up to 223 at the top and is above 190 for a bit
 more than 2 minutes.>

Wow, that's the real gut-wrencher. This is your gold-mine hill.

 >I will keep you informed about the readings this year.

 Wolfgang + Ninja 11 (why isn't there a Pikes Peak for horses?)
 Germany

Thanks, Woflgang--slowly I'm getting a much clearer perspective of how some
of these top athletes are built.

Tom