Swellings

My grey arab gelding has something that has been puzzling me for the past
couple of months.  He has several flat, soft swellings just to the left of
his right buttock and down.  That haven't gone away with time.  When I first
noticed and palpated them, they were quite soft, and didn't give him any
pain. I thought maybe he had been stung by a yellow jacked or something.
Over time they have hardened a bit but haven't shrunk any.  It is definitely
not bruised muscle.  Someone ominously mentioned him being a grey horse -
but melanomas are usually under the tail, aren't they?  The hair and skin
look normal.
They're a 'long way from his heart', and not really obvious unless you look
for them, but what are they and why aren't they going away?