Barn sour/herd wanting horse

Went and looked at an absolutely super horse for possible purchase yesterday.
He's *exactly* what I need at this point in my life: gaited,older(15), done
hundreds (if not thousands) of miles of trails, sound, big-bodied, dog-like
temperament.  ONLY problem: owner freely admitted he hadn't been ridden since
last fall, so I rode him and she rode another horse out through their big back
field, and around some trails.  He was super until I made him go away from
home and friend.  Once he could see home and pal in the distance he started
doing the freight train (chug, chug, nicker, nicker, prance).  He was
definately NOT out of my control, and I did NOT feel afraid, but it worried
me.  The owner swears up and down that it's because of the winter layover,
that he "works out of it" once she starts seriously riding him in the spring,
etc, but I don't know if I believe that.  I will be doing lots of solitary
riding, and need to know if this is a "treatable offense", is it worth working
with (knowing everything else about him is great), or will it make the second
half of every ride (once I turn for home) unbearable?  I would appreciate any
words of wisdom you could share.  Thanks.
Terri Radandt
in Michigan's beautiful U.P.
and Woody (bring me a friend home, yeah!)