Re: RC: Re: Hellll-mets!

> Interesting points about questioning the life expectancy of a helmet. After
> all, think of the number of hours they're in the sun. My helmet is more than
> five years old. I think I'll replace it - just in case it's become brittle.
> I wonder what the manufacturers say about how long they're expected to last.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that these helmets should be replaced
_at_least_ every 5 years if they've led an exemplary life <g>, and more
often if they are exposed to excessive heat and UV rays (baking in the sun
in the truck or hanging on a pole in the barnyard) and/or if you regularly
get minor knocks on it (hard hits by tree branches count too).  I have
tried to buy a new one every 2-3 years and rotate the old one into backup
duty, so I always have one around if need be, but my everyday helmet is
always the newest.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310