Re: RC: Re: helmets

In a message dated 2/6/00 9:27:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, Dbeverly4@aol.com
writes:

<<  BTW the broken neck argument is the wackiest argument against wearing a
 helmet that I've ever heard.  If you're gonna break your neck, you're gonna
 break it.  The helmet won't MAKE that happen.  It will just continue to
 protect your brain from even further damage.  >>

That wasn't how I read that post--I think the poster just meant that she
feared neck injuries (not blaming them on helmets) and wondered how often
they happened in proportion to head injuries.

The ONE thing you need to watch for with helmets regarding neck injuries,
though, is that you only have visors that will pop off on impact--otherwise
you CAN inflict a neck injury with a helmet.  But if your visor pops off,
your neck is in the same situation it would be without a helmet--if it breaks
it breaks, but at least WITH a helmet, it is attached to a functional head in
either event.

Heidi