Re: RC: Re: Fw: RC: endurance prospect, etc.

n a message dated 2/6/00 7:37:03 PM Mountain Standard Time,
CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com writes:

> Those who can do so
>  are the EXTRA special winners.  But if you stop to think about it, even
the
>  high mileage horses who DON'T win are household words in this sport, but
the

>  ones who win a few races and disappear are not.  If you can combine
winning
>  and a long career, more power to you!  But most endurance riders still
value

>  the long career over the short burst of glory.  There is nothing more
>  gratifying to many of us than an old, high-mileage horse who is still
sound
>  and clean-legged.  That is a huge form of winning in its own right.
>
> Yes, Heidi,
     There are winners, then there are WINNERS!  I agree that there are super
riders and super horses out there "doing it" (accumulating QUALITY miles).
And, no, I can't define "quality" miles...it varies, it seems, from horse to
horse.
      Personally, however, I hate seeing SOME horses dragging down the trail,
mile after mile, in pursuit of what the rider sees as some mileage plateau,
when it should be obvious to the least astute of us, that the horse doesn't
"just love to go down the trail", "he would hate it if I left him home this
weekend" and a bunch of other rationalizations some of us seem to make in
pursuit of a nebulous aggregate of miles which the horse has no means or
desire to understand.
    I think that "extremes," at either end of the spectrum, end up making
life a living hell for some horses just trying to meet the tenets of what
they perceive their function is in exchange for some food, water and a quiet
place out of the biting wind.
    All this talk about what is or isn't good for the endurance horse is
relevant, however, what I'm really reading "between the lines" is THIS IS
WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME AND I'M NOT CHANGING.
    That's okay.
    Maybe a little "food, water and a quiet place out of the biting wind"
isn't such a bad reward....it is for "this" Beast of Burden. :^).

     Frank.