Re: endurance prospect, etc.

> I was reminded of this kind of winning once again at the PNER Convention
last
> weekend, where we award a "Drinkers of the Wind" award to every horse with
> 5000 or more miles that has continued to compete in the just-completed
> season--and this year I think there were 6 of them...  (And one of those
is
> getting awfully close to 10,000, if he isn't already there.)  You know
what?
> Almost EVERYONE in the region knows who those horses are, but very few can
> tell you which horse won a particular race, other than perhaps Tevis (and
> imagine OD if you were on the other side of the country).

Thanks for the sentiment, Heidi.  I am SO proud of Thorn for his 7000 miles,
65% of it in the top 10.  He doesn't quite rank up there with Rio and
Muffie, but has had his share of 1-day "wins" including one just last year
at age 18.  But I am prouder of some of our completions than I am of some of
our "wins," and it is the cumulative miles that I am most proud of.  He
would not have all those miles if I had let him try to win all his rides.
I had a successful conditioning ride on him today, and he had no problem
keeping up with 5 young Turks.  So if all goes well, we will try to start
his 14th consecutive year of competition at your Surrabu ride in April.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
steenhof@cyberhighway.net