Re: RC: endurance prospect, etc.

In a message dated 2/6/00 9:47:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, bass@bigsky.net
writes:

<<  So if I (and
 others) tend to look down at those who go hell bent for leather in order to
 achieve that win, don't assume that we are "losers", assume that we
 perceive those actions as a mistake -- one that we would not like to
 duplicate, or even have to watch again.  I consistently top ten all rides I
 enter, and keep my horses metabolically and physically sound for years on
 end (I'm not thinking just 5 years or so, I'm talking about a career)  >>

Good for you, Whitney.  The great thing about this sport is that there is
more than one way to win--and the ultimate win to a great many of us is to
have the horse who can keep going, and going, and going...

I was reminded of this kind of winning once again at the PNER Convention last
weekend, where we award a "Drinkers of the Wind" award to every horse with
5000 or more miles that has continued to compete in the just-completed
season--and this year I think there were 6 of them...  (And one of those is
getting awfully close to 10,000, if he isn't already there.)  You know what?
Almost EVERYONE in the region knows who those horses are, but very few can
tell you which horse won a particular race, other than perhaps Tevis (and I
imagine OD if you were on the other side of the country).

Heidi