Re: Re: Fw: RC: endurance prospect, etc.

In show jumping, for example, it applies very much.  Look at the jump off.
The winner is the rider who is willing to take the chance and cut the
corner, leave out a stride, gallop to the fence, and do some "amazing
maneuver"  to gain that extra .01 of a second.

My horse and I make an excellent team.  We can beat everyone out there at a
walk.  If you were all willing to walk, I would win hands down.  In a
walking race, I would know that I have a "legitimate chance of winning" that
day.  This is not a walking event.  It is a sport where people ride their
horses fast over a long distance.  I do not win (nor do I care to) because I
do not want to ride my horse as fast as it would take.  Clearly, you have
chosen the speed at which you would like to ride and it isn't as fast as it
takes to win.  Should ride managers post a maximum speed so that everyone
goes through the "same maneuvers" and therefore has the same chance at
winning?

Since that isn't going to happen, is it okay to race at the beginning?

Karen
Sweaney@lightspeed.net