Re: RC: endurance prospect

Tom:

How eloquently and succinctly you summed up what I've been experiencing
almost from the beginning in the sport of endurance.  The divergence you
speak about has existed for a while.  It's just that the few who dared to
push the envelop, to ride really fast, were the "hot shoes."  We were, and
still are, hated, envied, vilified.  The difference now is there are more
"hot shoes."  People have learned how to train and feed and prepare and more
have learned how to tap their horse's potential.

My name is Debi Gordon.  Perhaps, you've heard of my horse CBS Redman.  We
came on the scene in 1990 and just started to blow everyone away.  From the
beginning, I heard the whispers.  "She's going to kill that horse!"  "I can't
believe how fast she forces him to go!"   Yes, as you said, "the losers will
hate you for the accomplishment."  The truth was, I never forced him to do a
thing.  Redman is a true wonder.  He's probably one of the most natural
athletes to ever race in the sport.  Many, who've been observers of the sport
for a long time, have called him the greatest they've ever seen.  And we did
it all on a wing and a prayer, usually with no pit crew--just flying and
winning on pure athleticism enhanced with very good training.
Of course, we were the perfect marriage of horse and rider.  We both like
"the edge."
During his whole career, while the losers were back at their trailers moaning
about how Redman would probably drop dead from his exertions, we would
quietly go and win best condition more often than not.  He often won the BC
award after breaking course records, sometimes breaking so-called
"unbeatable" records, the ones posted before the AERC's present finishing
criteria were in place.

Like you said, though, I always knew and felt that so many were hoping he'd
fail, break down.  And when the inevitable happened, when age and wear and
tear made his finishes less consistent--when he became vulnerable--people
were nicer to me.  What a coincidence, huh?  Once I became a loser, I was
much more lovable.  As I moved through my career with him, I did as you said
in your post, "ignore them.  Do the right thing and never look back."  I just
kept smiling and kept winning.   It puts you on an island, though.  How sad
that too many people are like that.

As I've learned from all my experiences, good and bad, I've willingly shared
them.  If someone can take my "secrets" and beat me, good for them.  And some
have.  The reason I'm sharing this now is that I want to provoke thought.  I
want people to think before they judge others based on the fact that some
people are good at what they do.  So many times, after people have met me,
they have said, "You're much nicer than I'd heard!"

And to be honest, when I've read some of your posts, I've thought what a
cocky,@^#%&@&$!!!  That's because you're good at what YOU do, and that
provokes a response.  Good for you!  Thank you for your information and for
all your provocation.  It's healthy, isn't it?  Debi Gordon