Fat Source

I've been trying to increase the fat percentage in my horses feed, but at 6 oz of corn oil split into two feedings, his stool is getting quite loose.  I was aiming for 8-12 oz. of oil, and I don't think I can get there.

My darling Roo won't touch Equi-jewel rice bran.  He's the master at sorting feeds no matter how well combined or just spilling it all on the floor and starving if he isn't happy with what I'm serving.  Having very recently finally found a feed formula he approves of, and having spent considerable time very gradually introducing the corn oil, I must say I am a bit disappointed at the loose manure.

I read in a back-issue of Practical Horseman (11/1991) that animal fat can be used instead of vegetable oils to get the 1.5 pounds of fat I'm looking for, but the only source of animal fat I can think of is lard, and I don't see how lard is going to help me.  The author of the Practical Horseman article mentioned using powdered animal fat in the research for the article.

Is there another form animal fat comes in that can be fed in larger quantities than corn oil?  Is powdered animal fat something that the feed stores usually carry?  My usual one doesn't but there are a good dozen more in the area that might if I knew exactly what I was asking for.

-Tamara Woodcock
“The mission, he thought, probably failed because of a series of logical, reasonable, carefully considered decisions, each of which seemed like a good idea at the time.  Like most colossal disasters.” - Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow

http://www.mindspring.com/~nis75p06/
AOL Instant Messenger:  Conthesis
ICQ: 49294214

Judge's Chambers.gif