Re: AERC Board Minutes

I think you are getting the wrong picture about the awards.  These are very
nice lap throws.  The decision to choose these this year was not because it
was less expensive, but because it was something different.  It happened to
work out that it was less expensive, and that was a benefit, but not the
reason.  Just because something cost less, does not mean that it is not as
good.   Some of my top ten awards were $25 tyvak jackets, when the many of
the riders preferred the $18 chairs instead.

At the rides here in San Diego, we give a blanket to the first place, and
best condition horse.  One year Suzy Kelley won it, and then I happened to
go to her house for a Christmas party and she had her horse blanket thrown
across the back of her sofa.  In fact I know of several people who left
their blanket in their living room for their "non horse" friends to see.
(It gives validation for what we do).  So at the next ride, I had lap rugs
made with the ride logo as the top ten awards.  People loved them because
all too often our awards are something that is often only used among other
horse people and with the lap rug thrown over the back of the sofa or
offered to a friend on a chilly night gave them "bragging rights" with their
non-horse friends.  It was a welcome change.

In fact, at the Warner Springs Ride next Saturday, the top ten awards for
the 50 and the top five best condition awards for the 25 are embroidered lap
rugs with the ride logo!

I think it is unfortunate when often members of the organization feel
compelled to take issue with decisions made by the board and seem to
continually look for things to criticize.  No one outside of the board has
seen the lap rugs, and already the criticism is that it does not "reward an
entire year of work".

Terry Woolley Howe
Pacific Southwest Regional Director
(and giver of lap rugs)