WINTER IN VERMONT

To all those in warmer climes who pity us in cold
weather...we learn to cope.

The most difficult adjustment is for the little children
walking to school barefoot in the snow...uphill both
directions.  Since we started wrapping their feet
with barbed wire for traction they don't seem to
mind at all.

I go out to the barn in my pajamas in the morning
to feed Meshack.  I keep loops of barbed wire on
the back porch and slip my bare feet in them when
it's icy.  Sometimes I put on a jacket when the wind-
chill is below -50F.

But then....I'm now an Old Geezer.

John and Meshack (I've been barefoot for two months)