Re: RE: Giant/midget

> I think that we also lose perspective in our sport that in most other
equestrian events the horses are a lot taller -
        I don't think so.   You are probably correct for dressage and/or
jumping.  However, you ask any cutting horse person of the "right"
size---14.2 is just perfect, they'll say.   Polo ponies are not that tall.
The Bedouins (yes, I know, "Arabian perspective") did not like a tall horse.
The American Indians laughed at the white man's tall horses and considered
them useless.   Cowboys are not searching for tall horses.   I think
"perspective" came from Europe where they grew horses big to carry the
knights in armor.  I think there is also a certain "aura" to riding a tall
(translate BIG) horse and being "able to control such size".

A tall Arab at 16HH is just an average to smaller sized dressage or eventing
horse.
            I saw a woman about 5'6" on a 17-hand (or taller) Warmblood,
doing dressage---the rider's heel reached about halfway down the horse's
side----IMHO appearing "funny".   Said Warmblood would have looked quite
strange trying to cut cattle.   Wonder how he would have done on the polo
field?   Perhaps the "most other equestrian events" refers primarily to
dressage/jumping???

.  More for the shock effect than anything else.
>             I think you said most of it right there.  (GRIN!!!)

> Becky, I guess you are just partial to short horses, maybe!
>      As am I and many others I know.
Claudia