Re: exercises?

Donna Dochterman dokadaarabians@earthlink.net
Marlene,

Being a short, older, overweight rider myself, I can sympathize with your
mom.  A mounting block is a wonderful help for both horse and rider.
Besides those cute things you can buy at the tack shop, just look around.
There are mounting blocks everywhere!  :oD  That rock, a log, a small rise
on the ground (of course make sure you are on the uphill side to mount when
the ground is even slightly uneven) the trailer step.....  My horses all
learn quickly to look for a ditch or a hole to stand in.  When I don't have
as high to climb, it is more comfortable for them too.  It is rare for me to
have to mount from level ground and even a few inches helps.  I climb up
much easier as I get fitter through the riding season but I always prefer to
take advantage of any mounting block that is available.

I have a wonderful grooming box I bought at a Meijer's store a few years
back.  It holds all my brushes, shedding blade, hoof pick and other grooming
supplies and doubles as a step stool.  (I think the store thought it was a
tool box.....)  One of those would make a wonderful, thoughtful Christmas
present for your mom.  Of course that only works at home, in camp, or at the
trailer, or I even hear some riders talk about crews that help them on rides
who could bring it along.

Also, if the saddle tends to slip sideways, use a breast collar for added
insurance.  And take the extra seconds to check the girth and straightness
of the saddle before you move off.  I would bet she is standing too far from
the horse as she mounts.  That is often a big contributor to saddles
slipping.  Unfortunately, if you are not as limber as you once were, it may
be hard to bend properly for a close step up.  Another reason those mounting
blocks can come in so handy.  My saddle rarely moves at the beginning of a
ride but in early spring, after I have ridden 25 miles or so and go to get
back on, my knees stiffen and mounting is clumsier.  I have to stand farther
away and don't bounce up as well.  That is when I really look hard for that
mounting block before giving up and clambering up from level ground.

Mostly, people I ride with are too busy laughing at my helmet to notice my
search for a mounting block.  If they do notice it is usually either because
they are waiting in line to use the same assistance or because they think my
horse looks silly standing in a little hole trying to make himself shorter
for me to get on.

Good luck to you both.  I know she will enjoy her hours riding with you as
much as I enjoy riding with my kids.
Donna Dochterman
Dokada Arabians
http://members.tripod.com/~DokadaArabians/index.html