Re: RC: Re: FEI Again

Maggie,
No big mystery here, they're buying mature horses who already have their
base conditioning and proven their competitive ability.
First you figure the costs of keeping broodstock, raising and
conditioning/training the offspring until they're 8. (I use 8 because I
think that's the minimum age to nominate for international competition.)Add
the cost of all the horses who die from illness, suffer a crippling injury,
or just don't pan out as top performers to the ones who do.
If you use all the horses being prepared for Endurance in the United States
at this moment as the pool, the percentage of those who are truly world
class is relatively small. (Even taking into account that is not everyone's
goal anyway.)
Think what it is worth to be ready to compete at the top level NOW instead
of in 9 years.
Five figures starts to sound very reasonable, and if money is no object why
not spend six if that's what it takes to get the horse you want?

Nancy Mitts