Re: Biofocals and (trail)riding

> Ok, I'm a bit off topic tonight.  I just got the dismal news that I need to
> move up to bifocals and I'm concerned about being able to ride
comfortably in
> them.  Anybody got any words of wisdom? Was it hard to adjust to riding in
> them?  Any preference of progressive vs fixed line lenses?  My Dr. has me
> leaning towards the progressive ones, but I'd like to hear from those of you
> who are riding in them.
> I've already asked about corrective vision surgery and it is not an option
> for me right now.  Bummer.

I got bifocals this year and opted for the progressive ones since I didn't
want
a line on the glasses.  It took me just about a day to acclimate to them since
you have to move your head around a little bit more to get the object that you
are looking at in the right spot on the lenses for maximum clarity.  I thought
it would bug me or make me queasy, but the adjustment was rather
anti-climactic.  I do a fair amount of close up work besides looking off in
the
distance and had gotten tired of looking over the tops of my glasses to get
the
close-up items in focus.  This has solved that problem completely, altho I
still take them off to do work on miniature items (dollhouse type ;-)) -- the
focal point for that vision is quite low on the lenses and it's hard to
keep my
eyes lowered that much for a *long* period of time.  After a couple of
months I
had to have the protective finish on them redone (scraped them on some tree
branches "getting out of Dodge" quickly during a lightning storm) and, for the
whole day I was without them, I found my old, standard correction lenses very
annoying.  I've had absolutely no problem with them while riding.