4 Point Trim Splints

Hey Gang since Blue has had all his troubles with 4 point this year and popped two HUGE splints my vet buddy has been quietly paying attention at all her vet calls looking for more evidence of splints and 4 point.  Well so far she's found about 8 horses total out of maybe 20 that had 4 point shoeing put on and then popped high splints!  Now I'm curious if those of you on the list who's horses popped splints or had splint surgery were also wearing a 4 point shoeing or trim at the time they popped them?  She's seeing older horses that are getting high splints too, like 10 yrs olds, 16 yr olds, not just babies!  When you think about it, it makes sense because of how squared off the hoof is they could start loading more weight on the side of their hoofs. Plus it changes their gait and the gait change may be an aberration to them thus high splints.

Blue stopped growing toe and started growing too much heel, thus jamming in the heels and side walls, with this trim.  So 4 point isn't for all horses that's for sure.  And if I ever had a horse with prior splint problems I'd stay far away from it!

                                   Cheryl Newbanks
 ~~~          ~~  ^ ^        SW Region
 ~~~\      _~~/  /\ /        Litchfield Park, AZ
        (   ) _ _   ) ' '        horsetrails@cybertrails.com