Conditioning for 100's

Hello everyone,
I am planning to do a 100 next season, I have never done one before.
I have only done 50's. I would like to try a 100 before my horse gets
to old he is 14 now.
I have no idea if that is a good age to do it.
Can any of you give me any conditioning tips that I could use.
I try to ride at least 4 or 5 times a week during the season.
I don't have alot of time in the week  but I ride alot on the weekends.
So I go for short rides on the weekdays.
My plan is when I do a 100 I just want to ride to finish I don't care about
placing. My horse has a history of tieing up so I go slow and just finish or
at least try to.
Any info would be greatly appricated

Happy Trails & Holidays
Colleen K. & Polaris