couple of nutritional questions(long)

Good morning Camp,

I've had absolutely nothing to do at work today so
instead I've been surfing the archives. I have a
couple of questions about supplements and nutrition.
 First, I'll start with what I feed and supplement. My
guy gets about 1/2 to 3/4 oat hay and 1/4 to 1/2
alfalfa hay mix per day. I give him about 4 lbs of
Complete Advantage/day,along with Focus WT,
glucosamine,strongid, 4oz (or 1/2 cup) soybean oil,
and add a little cracked corn on the days he gets
worked hard (for the carbs.)
My questions; I've been thinking about supplementing
VIT E to his diet for the anti-oxidant effect. I've
read that you can add up to 5000IU a day (yes, that's
5000) is that true? And I don't mean by adding Se and
Vit E, just the E in soft gel caplets. Does the
soybean oil I'm feeding have Vit E in it? Or does the
BHT and/or BHA (whatever that is) have different
anti-oxidants? How does my horse get Vit E from other
sources? I know I should have blood drawn, that's my
next step, to see if he is lacking in anything.

Other questions, unrelated; I'm going to start playing
with Carbo Charge, little by little. The idea of
playing with his blood sugar levels scares me a
little. But luckily I have a diabetic boyfriend who I
can steal a Glyco meter from, Hehehe. Ok, my question
is on how to mix the stuff, I'm thinking oil would be
a good (if maybe messy) idea, is there any reason this
wouldn't work?
Another question about E-lytes. Is it always a good
idea to mix E-lytes with a buffer, like Maalox? Are
there any brands of E-lytes that shouldn't be mixed
with a buffer for any reason? (Or a type of buffer
that shouldn't be mixed with E-lytes?)  Is the buffer
to protect his stomach or his throat from the salts?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Jennifer Kurtzhall