 Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:17:47 -0600
 To: angenmap mail list
 Subject: Dr. Ann Bowling

 It is with deepest regret and sorrow that I inform you of this terrible
 news. Our dear friend, Ann Bowling, suffered a fatal cerebral
 hemorrhage. Ann suddenly collapsed in her office with no previous sign
 of illness. She was immediately taken to the hospital but there was
 nothing that could be done. She died the following day -- Friday
 December 8, 2000.

 In lieu of flowers or other gifts the family has asked that people
 contribute to the The Ann T. Bowling Scholarship for Equine Genetics --
 to be awarded to a DVM student or post-graduate student who is
 interested in pursuing a career in equine genetics.

 Ann T. Bowling Scholarship Fund for Equine Genetics
 Office of Development
 School of Veterinary Medicine
 One Shields Avenue
 University of California
 Davis, CA 95616

 A memorial is being planned with UC Davis which in all likelihood will
 be after the new year.

 Dr. Ann Bowling was the Executive Associate Director of the Veterinary
 Genetics Laboratory and had been on the faculty of the School of
 Veterinary Medicine since 1973. She was considered to be one of the
 world's foremost horse geneticists. Her research  on molecular genetics
 all tied in with her richly varied interests in parentage
 identification, coat color, genetic disease, gene mapping and
 cytogenetics. THE GENETICS OF THE HORSE (2000) Edited by Ann Bowling and
 Anatoly Ruvinsky has been recently published by CAB International
 (Wallingford, UK).