Re: Rats eating hooves

Run some habenero chilis through the blender and paint it on.  The rat's heads will explode.  I have doubts aloe will make a big difference.

My friend liked this suggestion the best!  Bitter aloe out here is REALLY bitter (we use it on birds that pull out feathers or kids who bite their nails) which is why I suggested it.  But I think the Chilli thing might be the best.

Do you have to serve it with Tequila?

Tracey

Yes, that's the most important part.  Pour five large shots of tequila into glasses, lay out coarse salt and slices of lime. Carefully paint some habenero on the horse's feet, making sure you cover all areas evenly and don't go into the coronary band.  Pour first tequila shot into operator, followed by a lick of salt placed carefully in fold between thumb and first finger.  Follow with a bite of lime.  Wait for ten minutes to observe any adverse reaction from horse to habenero, then slap on a second coat, followed by second shot of tequila, salt and lime.  Repeat this step again, dropping lime wedge onto ground, brushing off muck and eating anyway.  On fourth step, feel free to just wave paint brush around anywhere between knee and foot.  Don't waste time picking the salt up, just knock it over and lick it up from wherever it fell.  Drop the limes again, spend twenty minutes trying to differentiate whether what you picked up was the lime or a road apple and eventually decide it doesn't really matter.

On the fifth and last go-'round, just pour habenero on ground while looking in the general direction of the horse.  Toss back the last shot of tequila, walk over to the suspected rat-hole and shriek filthy names down the hole.  Stuff the leftover lime peels down the hole so the rats understand just what they're missing.  Feel free to lie down next to the rat hole for a little nap, and so if any rats appear, you can discuss their misdeeds with them while stuffing their nasty little ratty heads into the empty tequila bottle.  Wake up much later to find rat sh*t in your ear and that your new leather boots have been gnawed off your feet.

Susan G