From: Tracey [mailto:tracey@tbt.co.za]
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2000 11:13 PM
To: RIDECAMP
Subject: RC: Rats eating hooves

A friend of mine is having a tough time at the moment as there are rats at her yard, and they have started to chew the hooves on her horse.  I've seen this before (I've seen some horses with their chestnuts bleeding from where the bloody rats have chewed them) but I'm not sure what advice to give her - apparently "get a cat / Jack Russell" won't work, as the owner of the yard does not live on the premises, and doesn't want to leave the dog / cat with the groom (not sure why leaving horses with the groom is less risky, but for once I held my tongue!!!)

Anyway, rat poison is a no-no, she's looking for something to paint on the hooves.  I suggested aloe juice.  Anyone have any other ideas.

And yes, I have suggested that she move yards!

Tracey