Re: RC: RE: Reno forever?

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 17:59:58 EST, BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:

>I don't think the BOD has made a firm decision on this yet.  I do know it was
>discussed at the mid-year BOD meeting.

I certainly hope the BOD hasns't made a firm decision to keep the
Convention in Reno.  The Board made a committment to the members some
years back to have the Convention in the eastern half of the United
States once every four years (like the Olympics).  IMO it would be a
serious breach of faith to come back and say either "Oh, we forgot to
book a site" or "Oh, it won't make enough money there, we need to keep
it where the most profit is."

The Convention is such an important event for the members, the one
chance in a year for people to get together from all parts of the
country, meet face to face, attend the seminars, buy from the trade
show, and just party down.  To keep it always in the same location,
favoring the same group of members at the expense of the others, is
just not something that, IMO, a national organization should do.  If
the finances are really still so bad that the AERC cannot survive
while fullfilling this committment to its members, then we have far
greater problems.  I don't believe that the AERC is that dependent on
this particular source of revenue.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net