Re: RC: Reno forever?

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:51:58 EST, BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:

>One of the purposes of the treasury is to be and remain solvent.  If locating
>the convention in another area depletes the treasury, then THAT is not
>serving the members' interests.  Other than that, I think it's a good idea to
>move it around peridically.  If the membership comes and supports it to the
>same degree in another location, and if the treasury does not lose large
>amounts of money, and if AERC can more than cover expenses and actually make
>a profit that will keep the treasury solvent, then I support the idea of
>moving the convention around the country.  So far, in the two times the
>convention has been held back east, none of these requirements has been met
>successfully.

I beg your pardon?  Neither eastern convention lost money for the AERC
(although the profit was smaller).  Attendance was IMO pretty good,
except for the folks who couldn't get through the snowstorm.  So I'd
say *all* of your "requirements" were in fact met successfully.

>It's purely a matter of economics, which I'm afraid, tends to
>drive most of the societies everywhere.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?  No, it is not purely a matter of economics!  It is a
matter of serving the best interests of the members of the
organization.  Of course, the organization must have enough income to
pay its bills or it goes out of existence, but saying that is *not*
saying that the Convention must always be held where it can make the
highest dollar profit.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net