Re: RC: DNA markers-- was breeder ethics

Dear Heidi
I LOVE current info and in fact in my original message about the great
debate on DNA testing I specifically asked if anyone had current info as
I had been out of it for a long time.
What I am referring to is your post back to me and I quote:
"Actually, Bette, I just got a post from a genetic researcher friend to
whom someone else had forwarded your original post.  He was concerned at
the misinformation, and said that the horse breeders were trying to GET
researchers to come up with breed markers, not that the researchers
were actually saying they could do it.  And he thought the closest work
was coming out of Kentucky, not out of A&M, for what it's worth,
although I gather they do a lot of good work there.
Heidi"
Now whether you come right out yourself and accuse me of having
misinformation, or couch it under someone else supposedly accusing me of
same who is responding to someone else who supposedly sent my message or
an excerpt or WHATEVER-- you get my drift and we all just got over a
heated debate where we discussed passing on third party info. The result
is the same. Now I make mistakes and I like to have them pointed out
when I do: however it is hard for me to respond to an accusation of
"misinformation" when I am not sure of what that was. As I said in my
post that there was a debate at Los Alamitos about developing markers in
DNA for differentiating the breeds and that there was opposition to
this; is my "misinformation" that there ever was a debate, that there
was opposition, or that I didn't know what happened with the matter as I
left racing? I never made any claims that it was feasible or not; some
folks felt is was, hence the debate. I still feel it is worth looking
into as it could effect all of us if it is indeed feasible. I told you I
don't know. IS that my "misinformation"--my admitted ignorance?
I'm getting more and more mail that people are afraid to post publicly--
the syndrome is "FEAR OF THE FLAME". Can't we word our responses in a
less threatening manner (to the ego--mine is pretty thick, but then,
I've worked with teens and drug addicts). A nicer way to have posted
your response might have been "Hey, Bette, Just talked to a geneticist
who said markers are not feasible." I would have responded much
differently to your post.
Just a suggestion.
Bette (who is already starting to put on her fire gear but sincerely
hopes it will not be necessary)
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!