Re: RC: sweepstakes horses

In a message dated 2/4/00 10:07:17 PM Pacific Standard Time, lynne@glazer.org
writes:

<< It means that your horse was nominated, in utero, for the IAHA
 "Breeders Sweepstakes".  The owners paid $300 for this, in hopes of
 having a foal that would someday excel in the show ring or in
 endurance/CTR.

A horse can also be nominated as either an original entry ($5,000 last time I
checked) or if he has an eligible sire (I think) entry ($2,500).  What that
means is that if your horse's sire was not "nominated" you pay more to enter.
 Check it out with IAHA.  My experience has been that the Sweepstakes program
is a pretty good investment (Harca was among the top 5 money earners in CTR
for 1996 - 1998 :))  I enrolled him as an original entry when they offered a
cheaper deal than normal.  Good investment!  I'm waiting for a "sale" offer
and then I'll nominate Star as well.  If you're going to ride anyway, what
the heck, why not cover some of those expenses?

Sylvia, Harca & Star & Chance (the "throw-away" who was nominated at birth-go
figure).