Convention

I belong to another non-profit organization that holds conventions every
year. We move them around the country to make them more accessible to the
membership. Or at least to pass around the advantage of proximity in some
manner. The way this happens is through the participation of the membership.
Different areas (regions) submit bids for hosting the conference. These bids
describe what that area (region) has to offer in way of accomodations,
travel, meeting rooms,local entertainment or points of interest , etc. The
bids also describe the contribution that entity making the bid will do to
make the thing happen. Not unlike putting on a ride. A few leaders and plenty
of volunteers. The organization still picks up the necessary costs but is
able to put on a great conference highlighting the wonders of the local
region. Which the host take great pride in doing. Utilizing travel hubs helps
keep down travel costs and using cities that have convention centers helps
keep those costs reasonable as well. I would love to come to a convention on
the East coast or in the Central or Southwest or Northwest. I am sure your
regions have lots to offer. With local talent to help make that happen AERC
might be more inclined to consider it. Just a thought.