Re: RC: arabian fading syndrome

In a message dated 2/4/00 5:08:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, TddWil@AOL.COM
writes:

<< Its when the horse has areas of pink skin not related to white markings
 around eyes, muzzle, under tail. I think its called Arabian Juvenile
 Leukoderma, juvenile because some horses outgrow it. Too much sun seems to
 make the areas larger. I have only seen it "in person' on this one horse and
 its not that noticable on a grey compared to a picture of a chestnut(maybe
 bay) that I saw.I don't know if its dominant or recessive or "other".Her
 sire,maternal grandsire,another horse by her sire and his son none have
 it.Mybe someone else can explain the genetics of it. >>

It is apparently nutritional--if there is a genetic component, it is simply a
matter of being oversensitive to a deficiency of whichever micronutrient has
been implicated.  I'm having a "senior moment" about it and can't remember
what micronutrient it is--but I do know this comes up from time to time on
the various Arab boards, and invariably someone remembers the right answer...

Heidi