Re: Rolled Toe Shoes, was Hooves

I have to disagree about half-rounds.  They are very narrow...I have never
seen any that weren't...and slippery (Nelson just took some off a horse
last week that fell and hurt his shoulder... of course, the farrier that
put them on knowing the horse would be turned out in this weather is an
idiot!).  St. Croix Eventers have a nice bevel for breakover and a rim that
really grips (I have ridden in these even in snowy, icy conditions-not on
purpose as we shod the horse and then had a snowstorm!- and they really
grip that ice and throw it out, even without studs!)....ok, oh and SCEs
have a nice wide web, less stress on the hoof wall.  I do believe there is
a difference and the couple extra bucks they might cost is definitely worth
it.  A rolled toe is a definite roll (trimmed and rasped) on the toe of the
hoof which the farrier has to match by working the shoe to fit...using half
rounds is NOT a rolled toe.  They may be fine for some disciplines but I
wouldn't care to use them on our horses for this sport.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657