pedigrees, breeding, etc.

Not really endurance related except for the connection to bloodlines and
breeding, but for what it's worth:

When I was in High School I raised goats for an FFA project.  I bought
two does that were out of full sisters and by the same sire.  One was
MUCH nicer than the other.  I bred them to the same buck and then bred
those does to the same buck. Know what?  The line out of the nicer doe
was so much better that they didn't even look related, even though in
blood they were identical.  Pedigree only gets you so far.  This also
proved to me that the dam line is far more important than the sire line.
You can only do so much when you start with a conformationally challenged
dam.  Oh, and why did I buy both of them if one was so much better?  He
wouldn't sell me the nice one unless I took the other, too.  And I'm glad
because of the lesson it taught me.  Even full siblings can be like night
and day quality wise.

Karen H.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.