Re: RC: Re: 5 Reasons Why I Can't Go To Reno

> Actually, I would be able to make it someplace
> like Kentucky (pretty central, I think)...

A "central location" isn't as important as a transportation hub. Lexington
was fairly centrally located, but that is *not* a transportation hub, so
cheap flights weren't readily available and even driving there wasn't that
easy, because it's not located at the convergence of major interstates.

Dallas, Atlanta, Cincinnati and Miami are all good examples of
transportation hub cities with local horsey populations that would make
good convention sites, and there are plenty of others out there.

The convention needs to be moved regularly, both as a service to existing
members and to increase membership.  I am quite certain that a
professional convention group could organize the AERC convention in
different parts of the country without losing money.  Professional
organizers not only have expertise, they have access to inside knowledge
and special discounts that the AERC staff simply isn't privy to, and could
group the AERC convention with other conventions they are organizing, to
get larger group discounts.

It makes good sense to hire a professional to do something that is outside
one's normal realm of responsibility and expertise.  But first the BOD
needs to make a policy decision that the convention is designed to serve
the membership at large, first and foremost, which means bringing it to
each and every region that is served by this organization.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region