Wickenburg, AZ ride CANCELLED due to AERC!

Just thought those in the SW and PS regions would like to know that the
Wickenburg, AZ ride
is cancelled.  The very nice ride managers, the Creightons, were forced
into cancelling this
beautiful ride by actions taken by our AERC president and whoever else.
I for one thought
this to be one of the best endurance rides here in the desert SW.  The
ride was a combined
effort of the Creightons, a local club, lots of cowboys, ranchers, BLM,
... to name a few.
Had an old west flavor to it.  Last year we rode down the Hassyampa
river bed in a stream
for what seemed a mile or more.  Absolutely, beautiful place for the vet
check.  It is a damn
shame what lead to its cancelling.
I'm writing this because I'll be dearly missing this ride due to actions
taken by AERC and
our President Randy Eiland.  Wickenburg ride has taken place for many
years.  I've gone only
the last two.  It was sauctioned for the last weekend or so in March
both years (this year March 25).  On 10/8/99 Mr. Eiland announced that
his Renegade ride was moving to Bumble Bee, AZ, 75 miles+/-, from
Wickenburg.  This multi-day ride would be held between March 20-24.  On
12/22/99
Mr. Eiland then cancelled his plans to hold this ride because of permit
problems.  During this time
obviously the Wickenburg ride managers and all of the others involved
had to decide if their ride could
go on with another ride taking place in the same area just days before
3/25.  The decision was made they couldn't hold the ride under these
circumstances.  I thought when Mr. Eiland made the announcement that the
Renegade ride was moving to AZ, that it was odd that it was going to be
held practically on top of the Wickenburg ride.  How did the sauctioning
of the Renegade ride take place?   Did they not even consider the
Wickenburg ride?  Most of us don't have a clue about all the necessary
preparations ride managers must do in order to put on a ride.  When
Wickenburg's ride management found out that Mr. Eiland had cancelled his
ride it was too late for them to get their BLM permit, folks from the
club had planned another outing,  ect.
Will the Wickenburg ride be held again?  I couldn't tell from my
discussion with Mr. Creighton.
He is UNHAPPY with AERC.  It wasn't fair to jerk around an established
ride.  I think this should
be looked into.  It is bad enough that we loose rides here and there for
for a variety of reasons.  Even
worse when our own AERC contributes to cancellations.
Sure there's another ride a couple of weeks before in AZ, another one in
NV a week after, but none
out Wickenburg Way this year...
If anyone would like to talk to the Creightons about how they have been
wronged or PLEASE
encourage them to even hold it again, I'll be happy to privately email
their number or just look
them up in past ENs.

Denise Johnson
PS