easyboots

Tami,
  I started using easyboots at the end of last summer. I don't need shoes to
ride at home unless we are having a drought and the ground is like concrete,
but I would shoe all 4 plus pads in front for the rides I did in Virginia
(rocks!). Then I would have to pull the shoes or cut out the pads when I got
home because of thrush. Nail holes close together from trying to not have a
shoeing job older than 4 wks on a ride also caused Jabar's feet to chip. I
conditioned with the easyboots and never had one come off. We went thru sand,
mud, water, on paved roads, etc. They are a real ^%$^%$^% to put on at first,
but it gets easier. Fitting them to your horse is interesting, too. First, do
like the easyboot directions say and measure horses hoof across at the widest
point after having his feet trimmed. Front feet may be a larger size than
back (Jabar's are). When you get boot cut the back down like they say. I had
to cut the front of the front boots down because they hit the soft coronary
band. I did not adjust the metal points that grip the hoof. They left marks
on his feet but not too deep. Put boot on foot using webbing run thru the
strap to pull on. Start it straight or you will goof up. have a flat head
screwdriver within reach in case you get the %$%^ boot halfway on and it goes
crooked - you won't be able to pull it off with your hand. Then set the foot
down and pull up on the back strap . I pull mine up to a little under the
hairline, but never over. The back straps can be adjusted, but I didn't have
to do that (thank God). Then adjust the cable one notch tighter than you can
fasten with your hand - then fasten the boot using your foot to press the
buckle down. That foot tidbit is courtesy of Corry Clinton at Horses Dacor,
which is where I got the boots. She has good directions in her catalog.
Between her directions and the easyboot directions the only thing I didn't do
was put some nail polish on the screws that hold the back strap on. This
keeps them from falling out like one of mine did. Nobody told me about that
little problem. Now, after going thru all that, the only ride I used them on
was a 30 where I got pulled at 14 miles and the horse ended up being retired
because of a gait problem. Go figure. I haven't delved into the foam or the
dirt skirts and don't like the idea of the keeper straps.

                                                       Good Luck
                                                        Shelly and Jabar the
fat backyard semi-retired

                                A-rab