Re: RC: Re: New Topic - Hooves

 I agree with what Maggie and Nelson have to say on this matter.Let me ask a
few questions and give some of my opions at the same time.First of all from
talking to several people there seems to be varied opinions on what NBS
actually entails.Myself I think like the orginal post ( I think ) using the
natural balance shoe.The balance I use in my shoe jobs kinda goes a like
this: Trim the frog,wrapping your hand around the foot put one finger on the
coronary band and your thumb on the frog like you were going to touch them
together.By doing this you have found the coffin joint.Sometimes I may
actually mark this on the frog with a dot.My goal is to get equal distance
from the dot to  the toe and equal distance to the heels.50/50 is the goal(
not always posible),also using same dot get a medial / lateral balance.Alot
of time I will recess the shoe and roll the toe back into the shoe around
here it is known as a pasture roll.I use this method on most horses I
shoe,but this is where I get on my soap box a little.Lets start with a
question:
1.If you hired a mechanic to fix your car and he/she showed up with one
wrench in there tool box would you not wonder if they had what it took to fix
your car.Maybe they do could just be it needs a bolt tightend and they have
the wrench.Or maybe your car needs a different tool but thats the only tool
he/she is willing to use.What then?
2.You go to the same shop.I need a tires you say.So he gets his tire.Its a
monster gumbo mudder special ! Wow! and them puts in on the rim and shoves it
on the vehicle and away you go.Your moving along ok kinda just going down the
road.You thinking to yourself boy my Corvette should be going better than
this.What happened was the guy/girl didn't look above the rim (foot) to see
what he was putting this tire on.
3.Lastly something to think about.NBS shoes causes horses to breakover
exactly forward correct.Unless you are a lucky person your horse is not
perfectly straight.So what happens if your horse has knees pointing out and
your forcing his foot to break over exactly in front of him?Where is the
stress going?

I guess in a nut shell if your farrier is not looking at the whole horse or
is shoeing every single horse in the same fashion I would venture to say
there may be a problem with some of them.Because although alot are alike I
have not seen many horses that are exactly the same.Just a few thoughts that
I am sure I will be blasted for as usual LOL. RD