Re: RC: Re: RE: RE: Cutoff Times

Yes, Truman, that is exactly how I figure it, using the average amount of
hold times we run into. Add in the time it takes to stop for water, extra
sponging, etc. I consider 5 mph the MINIMUM average speed it takes to finish
in time.
I believe we did a 100 one time that allowed 3 hours to cover the 1st 21
miles. 7 mph. Seems slow enough? Think, if you stop for 1 min, you'd have to
travel 14 mph for 1 minute to "catch up" to  the required average. If water
was available at 3 spots, you'd probably stop at each, minimum 2 min. each.
If you're in a group & have to wait to take turns or for the slowest
drinking horse you can burn up 3-4 minutes X 3 = 12minutes. That's just for
water, assuming no stops for tack problems, riding accidents, or missing a
turn on trail (like that never happens, right?!) Anyway, we just BARELY made
the first cutoff.
The cut off at the last vet check for the same ride allowed 3 hrs for the
last 6 miles, we were just slightly over an hour.
Cut-offs should only be considered as a very last resort by ride management,
and allow as much time as possible to that first check!
Nancy Mitts