Re: The laugh's on me : )

From:        finchum@maine.edu
To:            ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject:       The laugh's on me  : )
Date:          Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:01:40 -0500

I have used easy boots for many years,  and find them an inexpensive
alternative to using pads.  I also use them whenever my mare is
barefoot.  I have read past posts with interest regarding the foaming
solution that Karen C. and others use and have considered trying
some...even though it sounds messy and time consuming.  You see, I
have been using my *own* method of foam....not so much to keep the
boot on the hoof, but to keep debris out of the boot (I still like
the original boot they made without the cup in the back).  I save all
pieces of open cell packing foam that comes in to our department for
varous equipment we have ordered.  The pieces are probably 6" x 6" &
probably  3/4" thick and is usually pink or blue  : )  I fold a piece of the
foam in half and just hold it on the bottom of her hoof as I apply
the easy boot.  The foam covers her heel and the top of the boot.
Looks funny, but it keeps larger stones out. ( I also tie a piece of pink
or orange flagging to the heel strap so if the boot comes off, it is
easier to spot)  Needless to say, we get some strange looks!

Last week I was putting together an order for supplements and noticed
the catalog carried easyboot "skirts".  No picture, no description
but, they were less than $2 each, so I ordered a pair.  I was curious as to how they
would work.  I pictured something along the line of a bell boot, I
guess.  Imagine my surprise when my order came in and the easy boot
"skirts" were two pieces of open cell foam  : )   ! ! The only
difference is:  I paid for this foam;  the foam is white;  and,
there is a piece of paper glued to one side with a diagram so the foam can
be  cut according to size of the boot.  No different:   it is inserted into
the boot and covers the horse's heel.

Judy....still smiling
& Hilary....not having fun since the snow crusted over
Newburgh, ME