new topics long

Dede,

This is how I've been doing things so far...

pre-ride feeding:normal rations (enduro-event grain) and free choice grass
hay, electrolytes nite before and day of ride, feed at least 2 hrs before
ride(endura-max electrolytes)

feeding during ride:grass, hay, apples/carrots/pears, wet grain(not alot, but
I've only done 50's), electrolytes at almost every check

post-ride feeding:hay, small grain meals every couple hrs(I've never wet it
down but it sounds like a good idea)

conditioning routines(or lack thereof): small child and busy husband mean my
only ride day is Sunday until a few weeks before a ride, I would do 20-25
miles that day and lunge 30 min 3 days a week at a trot, horse is turned out
24/7

pommel bag junk: leatherman, hoofpick, water bottles, band aids, gauze pads,
vetwrap, kleenex, nylon strap to put on easyboots, spare easyboot(s) (I don't
use shoes), stethoscope(I don't have a heart monitor and when I got to the
first vet check at Fort Valley my husband was having some coffee at the local
store), food on training rides               fanny pack:ID and
medical/emergency info, phone & keys on training rides

saddle pad: I had a coolback but with my wintec his back got too
hot(synthetic saddle & pad, ouch!), have a double thick woolback with no
inserts(I'm featherweight), english cut pile (shorter/denser-I like it better
than the long stuff)

saddle survey:only tried 2, sportsaddle too wide for small,narrow arab,
wintec was cheap and fits horse

rider food: lots of gatorade, I have trouble eating, so anything that looks
good within reason(why won't Dominoes deliver to these places?)

OK, folks, if any of this is wrong/ not recommended, please help me out, I've
been at this only 3 yrs

                                                   Shelly in
Delaware(Dela-Where?)