Re: RC: Mcclelland saddles

Hello Celeste,
Years ago I worked as an riding instructor in a children's summer camp
for 4 summers.  We had a string of 18 horses half of which wore
McClellan saddles.  They only fit thoroughbred type horses with narrow
shoulders and well defined withers with a laid back shoulder otherwise
the rigging rubs in the armpit.

As to riding they are very uncomfortable.  I cannot imagine riding a 50
miler in one or god   forbid a 100 miler.  The seat is very hard , the
leathers pinch.  Plus side they are easy to repair which is why we had
them and kids who only ride for 45 minutes at a time do not care.
They were also army surplus and cheap.

You can get a copy now for about $400 US dollars but I would not waste
my money.  Real authentic McClellans are now prized antiques and cost
lots even though the leather is usually rotten.  Most were manufactured
in 1918 or before.
Hope this helps.

Traildust in Central Oregon USA

Happy Trails to you until we meet again.
Traildust (Anne Hanson)
Critters (Rambler, Jet,  Miner and Squirt)
http://community.webtv.net/traildust/NEWSFROMDUSTYACRES