Re: RC: Mcclellan saddles

My husband & I collect McClellans.  The previous posts
are quite right in that they are NARROW!  Although the
government specified how each model of the McClellan
was to be made, each tree was handcarved.  This
creates a bit of variability in flare, rocker
position, width, etc.  As the saddle developed, the
dip of the seat and placement of the stirrup hangers
and rigging changed as well.

We currently have whittled our collection down to 5...
 Of these, three fit our TB/QH cross at different
fitness levels, but NOT when he is fatter & out of
shape.  The other two become VERY narrow in the twist
(under the rider) and haven't fit any horses we ever
tried it on.  (We kept tham as examples of a
particular model of McClellan.)  Since the trees are
wood, covered by rawhide, covered in leather our
restoration saddler said that some of the "tightness"
on the tree may be due to contraction of the rawhide
over the years of use (wetting & drying) IN ADDITION
to the already narrow tree.

If you have a narrow, high withered horse, you can
shop around & probably find  an original McClellan to
fit.  Personally, I have only seen ONE Arab who could
use a McClellan, though.

I'd suggest looking at the Stonewall or a reproduction
for serious use.  As with any saddle, have a
knowledgeable person check the fit on the horse's back
with & without the rider on board.

There's an excellent web page that discusses the
various models of McClellans, but I don't have the
address here at work.  Anyone who is interested, drop
me a line privately & I'll look it up for you.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV

--- Sue Fritsche <bluemoonacres@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:
> In regard to using the McClellan saddles <SNIP> Not
only is it narrow but it's